SB1 Road Improvements In Tuolumne County

On April 28, 2017 the Governor signed Senate Bill (SB) 1 (Beall, Chapter 5, Statutes of 2017), which is known as the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017.

SB 1 addresses basic road maintenance, rehabilitation and critical safety needs on both the state highway and local streets and road system. Tuolumne County has adopted projects and has begun work on a number of important street/road repairs that will make it safer and easier to travel in our area.

SB1 Facts and Myths

How much of SB 1 funding will be used to fix our roads?

SB 1 invests more than $5 billion annually directly for maintenance, repair, and safety improvements on state highways, local streets and roads, bridges, tunnels and overpasses. SB 1 also provides investments in mass transit to help relieve congestion.

In total, SB 1 will provide an estimated $19.5 million directly to Tuolumne County over the next six years.

Will any of the SB 1 funding go into the State's General Fund?

No funding from SB 1 goes into the General Fund. Revenues go directly into transportation accounts and are constitutionally protected.

Article XIX of the California Constitution already protects the gasoline excise tax, vehicle registration fees, and a portion of the sales tax on diesel, and dedicates them to transportation purposes. This accounts for about 70% of the revenues generated by SB 1. Prop 69, a constitutional ballot measure which will go before the voters in June 2018, extends these same constitutional protections to the remaining 30% of new revenues generated by SB 1. If passed, Prop 69 will guarantee SB 1 funds can only be used for transportation purposes. It’s also important to remember, all gas tax moneys that were loaned in prior decades to the General Fund will have been repaid under SB 1.

The County has received $152,067 of the loan repayment for FY 17/18

Will there be any oversight and accountability to ensure proper expenditure of SB 1 funding?

SB 1 strengthens the oversight and audit process by establishing an independent Inspector General who is appointed by the Governor to oversee programs to ensure all SB 1 funds are spent as promised and to reduce bureaucracy, waste, and red tape. The Inspector General is also required to report annually to the State Legislature.

Furthermore, SB 1 has significant accountability and transparency provisions designed to ensure the public has full access to information on how their tax dollars are being invested. For instance, cities and counties must publicly adopt and submit to the state a planned list of projects and year-end reporting that accounts for every single dollar of SB 1 revenue they receive.

One can find the adopted projects by the Board of Supervisors here:

SB1 Logo

Contact Us

  1. Community Resources Agency


    Email

    Physical Address


    48 Yaney Ave.
    Sonora, CA 95370

    Mailing Address


    2 S. Green St.
    Sonora, CA 95370

    Ph: 209-533-5633
    Fx: 209-533-5616

    Hours


    Monday - Friday
    8 am. - 4 p.m.